Monday, November 2, 2009

Book Report

As soon as I learned about this project, I knew what I wanted to do my paper on. I have always been interested in the future of the book and how technology is going to change reading - and books- as we know it. The Kindle has already had a major impact on how people are able to read books, and the way in which they are able to go about purchasing these books. I plan on exploring the advantages and disadvantages that come with this technology and how - or even if- the e-book is going to have as significant an impact on the way we view literature. I have found several interesting sites which I plan on using, including the articles “ How the E-Book Will Change the Way We Read and Write” and “How Kindle Will Change the World.”

Although I have a few key points which I plan on presenting on my paper, such as the idea of students someday being able to carry around their one Kindle from class to class, as opposed to the considerable weight of so many textbooks, the way impulse buys made available to us by the e-bookstore are going to change the way we purchase books, and if the advancement of the e-book is going to mean the demise of the physical book, I know that I still need some more topics to research. I am hoping that the more I research into this, the more ideas I will be getting on further issues to investigate further about the e-book and the future of reading.

I am also intrigued by how such a technology would change other aspects of peoples' lives, such as the way we will be reading our magazines and newspapers, the future of libraries, and how we are going to view the paper and pen, which may seem so outdated and not as “user-friendly” as the options which are provided to us by these newer technologies. As I have mentioned, I am not dead set on any specific thesis or argument yet, and these are just vague ideas on what I plan on pursuing. If anyone has any tips or ideas on this, I will greatly welcome any help.

Also, I have not given much thought to this, but it might be interesting to see how e-books would change copyright laws and the way we view ownership of any particular book or piece of work. With ever changing technology, it would only make sense that the laws change to keep up.

3 comments:

  1. Great topic--and copyright is definitely an aspect that should be considered. Also pricing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is looking now that my paper is going to be comparing the future of books with their past, and the present will be unimportant. Either way I think some of our research might crossover. I understand why it is a good idea for us to all post our research topics on our blogs. If I find some material in my research that I think could be relevant to yours (which I imagine I will) I will make sure to forward it to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you all are seeing this as a a chance to collaborate instead of compete. Neither creativity and knowledge are limited resources. We are usually enhanced, not depleted, when we share.

    ReplyDelete